Saturday, July 17, 2010

My First Quilt



Okay, now you know I said I would never sew and now that's all I do....well I really never thought I would make a quilt, yet, here it is - my first quilt. The squares of this quilt were completed by my students from last year. We read the book Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt which is about the legend of quilts being used as maps for the underground railroad. The students brainstormed important places in Laurel that would be good to include in a quilt. Each student created a painting on cloth that represented one of those important places in Laurel. And thus we have a Laurel quilt complete with Laurel High School, Sawmill Square Mall, Lauren Rogers Museum, Walmart, Eatza Pizza and much more. I'm going to show this quilt off when I present lessons at a conference this week. I think the quilt turned out really well. It's not perfect, but it is definitely FUN!!! I can't wait to make another one for home!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment